Anyone that owns a truck knows that good and reliable tonneau covers don’t come cheap. You, like others probably wondered, How can I make my own truck bed cover? The good part is a DIY wood truck bed cover / Tonneau cover will perhaps be an easy project for those that are not estranged from the tools in your shed. But for those who are not sure where to start read on and learn how to make a homemade wood truck bed tonneau cover. It will certainly be a cheap way to cover truck bed.
Obtaining a model truck surely gives you many advantages in any situations possible as an owner. Whether it is for going outside for a trip, or maybe in day-to-day activities like going to work, school, or even buying goods from the department store. Your model truck is your companion during desperate times. However, is it not much better if you modify all the compartments of your model truck to bring something new and unique? Right! Style your model truck with a purpose.
What is a wood truck bed Tonneau cover?A wood Tonneau cover is a cheap alternative to tonneau cover. The homemade wood truck bed cover is placed over the bed of a truck in order to protect the content stored in the track bed. The wood cover is placed over the top of the truck bed in order to protect the wood from weathering and damage. The cover is also helpful in keeping the wood clean and free of debris. The cover typically has a few different layers, including a layer of wood that is placed over the top of the truck bed, a layer of padding, and a layer of fabric. The cover is also typically equipped with straps or hooks that help to keep it in place. diy truck bed cover waterproof
What Are The Benefits of Installing a Hard Tonneau Cover Made Of Wood?
There are many benefits to installing a wood Tonneau cover on your truck bed.
1. The ElementsA DIY truck bed cover is waterproof and that means it will protect your cargo from the elements. Rain, snow, and sun can all damage your belongings, and a Tonneau cover will keep them safe.
2. Fuel EfficiencyA truck bed cover will improve the aerodynamics of your truck, which will save you fuel. Given the current energy market wouldn’t that be nice?
3. Looks and Increased ValueAdding a tonneau cover to your truck will give your truck a unique look that will turn heads. On top of that, it will add value to your truck if you ever decide to sell it. If you’re looking for a way to improve the function and appearance of your truck, a wood Tonneau cover is an excellent choice.
What are you waiting for? Let’s get started and make a wood truck bed tonneau cover!
What Do You Need for Your DIY Tonneau Cover ?
Now, in customizing your wood truck bed, make sure to have all the necessary tools ready as well as the needed supplies. So now that you are ready to learn how to build a truck bed cover plywood, here are the things you will need. Rest assured all of these following items are affordable and available in most local hardware stores.
To build your DIY hard tonneau cover for your truck you will need:
- Tape Measure: A fundamental tool for measuring your truck bed width and height. The measuring should start from the bulkhead of the rear compartment until the tailgate to get the exact bed length.
Two pieces of ½-inch plywood of your choice: The quality of the plywood is up to you, however using waterproof plywood is very much recommended. Make sure that the plywood is bigger than the size of your truck bed, if you plan to cut it yourself or if you buy it pre-cut, ensure it is the right size to cover the whole of your truck bed.
- Six Pieces of 1×2” Wood: Use these to form the frames of the wood truck bed Tonneau cover.
- Few Pieces of Screws: These will hold and attach the homemade wood truck bed Tonneau cover to the rear compartment.
- Table Saw: It is not necessary that you have to buy a new table saw. You can just borrow from your relatives or your neighborhood if they have to avoid spending too much money.
- A Drill
- Six meters of vinyl fabric: However, the quality and price of the vinyl fabric must be according to your taste for a better outcome. This will serve as the cover of the entire wood truck bed Tonneau cover.
One piece of piano hinge
Elmer’s Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive
Black Paint of Your Own Choice of Brand
Steps To Making a Wood Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Creating your own wood truck bed Tonneau cover is not as hard as to how it seems to be. All it takes is to follow the five straightforward and quick steps listed below.
Step 1: Structure the Frames
Now, the first thing to do is grab the 1×2“ woods and cut it into pieces to form and structure the two frames of the truck bed cover. Do not forget to take note of the correct length of the width and the height you measured prior. Attach one frame to the trunk while using the other one for the lifting part.
These two frames will hold the wood truck bed Tonneau cover to the car.
Step 2: Attach the Plywood
Since you have two sheets of plywood, you should attach both to the frames you made during the first step. After cutting it out, join it together with the frames. Bear in mind that they must overlap the sides of the truck, and they must follow your car’s shape. Besides that, remember not to let the area where both of the finished frames join, overlap. Because this is where the piano hinge comes in.
Step 3: Cover it with Black Paint!
Now, this step is not necessary. It is up to you whether to follow this or not. However, this step could be convenient. Painting the frame and the plywood with black paint helps in preventing moisture from building up. Hence, it makes the wood truck bed tonneau cover last longer.
Step 4: Make use of the Vinyl Fabric
Using the contact adhesive and spray adhesive spread it all over the structured frame and plywood and wrap the vinyl fabric on it. Staple the remaining pieces of the vinyl fabric at the backside to secure it.
Step 5: Install your Wood Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Using the screws, install your finished product to your truck. Just be careful upon attaching them to avoid causing a scratch when you use the drill to the rear compartment. You can also add a rubber seal to prevent rainwater from flowing inside your trunk.
Congratulations! You got yourself a brand new wood truck bed Tonneau cover. Are you feeling excited yet to try your modified model truck? Go and rock the road!
In just short five steps, you were able to make a homemade wood truck bed tonneau cover on your own. You can easily find the list of materials needed for creating this project in stores/hardware near you. Now you get to know one way of installing a handy feature in your truck without spending too much. While you were able to save money, you also made use of your creativity. Cheers!
I am Dave McCurdy I am the content developer on the ecodrivingusa.com website. I have 6 years of experience in marketing as an automotive major.